Inspiration

With the frequency of freak storms raising from year to year, emergency situations in developing countries are bound to happen. Whenever situations like these happen, hoards of rescue worker from various country swarms in to offer their help. This brings up huge communication issues between the civilians in need and the rescue team helping supporting them. This situation is aggravated by the lack of on-site translators, the lack of app-capable smartphones as well as unreliable wifi in under-developed countries. This is where Tingo comes in.

What it does

Tingo uses a text-to-translate system which allows anyone which has working SMS the capability to translate a text message to any other language. How does it work? Write your message, add the targeted translation language by writing an @language tag at the end of your message and send it away to a predetermined number. After a few seconds, you will receive the translated version of your message!

How I built it

We built Tingo using Twilio's message API for handling sms messages and Google-Translate for the translation part. We used the Azure web app services for our hosting needs.

Challenges I ran into

The main challenge of this app was the fact we needed to pay for a full Twilio account in order to have access to the features we needed. We also had very little experience with ASP.NET, so there was somewhat of a learning curve there.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Learning new frameworks in a limited amount of time.

What I learned

We all learned basic ASP.NET for this project as well as learned more about the google-translate and Twilio APIs.

What's next for Tingo

Adding support for local dialects as well as stabilizing the application for improved performances.

Share this project:
×

Updates