One of the members of our team noticed the lack of Reciters for the prayer of Tarawih during the holy month of Ramadhan, a remarkable number of mosques are looking every year for competent Reciters to fill the void and to ensure the smooth running of the tarawih, same thing for some people who wish to propose themselves for this famous activity of the sacred month but who do not find any way to present their abilities to the Mosques demanding Reciters. That's how came the idea of an application that will facilitate the search for Reciters and contacting them while ensuring their competence and availability.

What it does

"Tilawati" is a mobile application whose main role is to share tilawas, where ever you are it allows you to share your tilawas, get reactions, have the chance to be corrected through comments and for those intrested, it connects Mosques and Reciters, they share their tilawas in our platform and it will be available to all users of the application, whether other Reciters or managers mosques. Thus, and as aforementioned, these Tilawas can be heard and evaluated. All this to facilitate the search of Reciters according to needs, skills and availability.

How we built it

We were a team of 4 members in the hackathon, we worked together, we first set the idea and the functionalities then we divided the tasks between us, we worked with recent technologies. On one hand, for the backend of the application we had two members who worked with NodeJS framework : AdonisJS and Mysql for the database, since it is an API we used postman to treat the different requests and to share request schemas. On the other hand, a member took charge of the frontend of the application by using for that React-Native and Redux for state management. Regarding the design, our designer began by preparing the WireFrame to ensure a good UX. Then he worked on the UI of the interfaces using Material Design System. In parallel, and whenever he finished an interface, the work continued on the frontend of this interface. To collaborate between us we used GitHub, we deployed our work via Heroku using Auto Deploy method, we also tried to use Docker to automate our DevOps and run our API very quickly and anywhere ! Finally we submitted our work via a GitHub repository.

Challenges we ran into

Among the challenges we encountered there was the tools to use, especially for the backend where we used AdonisJS as Framework, first experience with this one but well past. Also the validation of the functionalities of the idea where we were not all convinced about each other suggestions, so we spent more time in order to make the necessary modifications so that these ones become clear for the whole team, one more challenge was trying to establish a connection between Mysql container and the API container via Docker compose and setting a correct environment variables.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

To be able to develop our project throughout the month of Ramadhan, by learning new technologies in order to code the different functionalities of our application.

What we learned

We managed to develop and implement a usable application by a whole network, ensuring the synchronization between the Reciters and between Reciters and mosques. However, it should be noted that some of us did not have all the necessary tools, so during this hackathon we developed new skills like the "leraning by doing" strategy. It was a very good experience.

What's next for Tilawati

We want our project to provide more functionalities to ensure a better experience and facilitate contact and different operations between Reciters and between Reciters and Mosques.

Share this project: