Limitations are Challenges, and I love the challenges.
Despite being the world’s most popular website builder, Wix has its limitations compared to open-source platforms. But, Wix is my love. And, I never stopped using Wix because I took these limitations as challenges. I love to find solutions, but sometimes I work when I’ve some motivation. Wix_DevCon Hackathon worked as motivation for me, and I go forward with the participation.
How do I build this?
I build things by vision. My vision is a social perspective. Would you like to know the vision?
So, my vision is to create a thing that looks easy to attract new people and create a game with the basics of coding instead of pro-level coding. So, I avoid external game APIs, iframe game sources, or advanced patterns.
With the Wix_DevCon rules and my vision, I move forward to build the game app. Below are the steps I followed:
- Logics - First, I create a basic layout that is enough to test the logic. First, I choose to go with the Pass N Play game and then with Single Player.
- Wireframing – I keep things simple which always looks good.
- User Interface – After that, I go with the user interface. I tried to keep the design minimal and designed elements to give a feel like a game element.
- User Experience – Once the user interface gets ready, I move to add some user experience with animation, delay & other spices which can make the dish tasty.
- Testing - After the completion of game work, I do testing on different mobiles with different OS.
- Feedback & Improvement - I get the feedback from the testers & make the required changes. Do this again & again until things get perfect. Thanks to my volunteer testers.
- To create a sync between live & local data.
- To create a statistics & settings menu.
What did I learn?
- I learned to manage & sync between the local and live data. How to store the user profile in local storage? Update the local storage on changing settings & data.
- I worked on the Realtime API & able to send and receive messages.
- Awareness is the most important. I know about the competition around 3-5 august. But shocked to know the competition is life from 5th July.
- Two modes to play: Single Player and Pass N Play.
- Save Settings: The user can save settings like avatar, sound & statistics.
- Sign Up/Login: The user can signup/log in to save the progress.
- Play anywhere: The user can play on any device with saved settings by the login.
Things left, but possible on Wix Velo:
Because of time, I was unable to add the following features:
- Online Multi-player
- Community Forum
- Chat between online players
- Theme Customization
- Player Token (X or 0) Customization
I hope you like this & thanks for your time while reading this. Looking forward to the results :)
Rajjat Garg (Wix Partner & Velo Certified Developer)