- TheTangibleLife DAPP on the cloud. (Disclaimer: NFT-based video streaming is working from a server. However the app's embed code generation was not generating the correct code at the time of submission.)
- USE CASES illustrate the different contexts that the dapp can be used.
- Source Code on github is available under MIT License.
- YouTube Video is the demo video for the Theta Q1 2022 Hackathon.
- Most humans alive today are in a hybrid world, standing somewhere between the pysical and digital, even though the level of digitalization of our lives vary.
- Many things we do everyday, from work to entertainment, consist of interaction with a computer, completing tasks, as if in a game.
- This phenomena of many humans continuously completing tasks in a digital world has been referred to as the "Great Online Game" by the technology visionary Packy McCormick.
- The inspiration for our TheTangibleLife project/dapp is to integrate blockchain-based video streaming into every aspect of the "Great Online Game".
- This integration can be through casual Theta dapps/widgets that contain embedded codes, where these embed codes are easily-generated using a dapp.
- The main technology used in our project is Theta's patented NFT-based DRM (Digital Rights Management) and video streaming.
- This way, Web 2.0 developers and even non-coder web admins can be onboarded to Web 3.0 through Theta Network.
- The project and the dapp aim at the ubiquitous usage of the Theta Network & token and consumption of TFUEL, through both video streaming fees and NFT purchases.
- Our project provides a portfolio of use cases in different domains, which would use our dapp to integrate blockchain-based video streaming.
What it does
- The TheTangibleLife dapp allows uploading of videos and generates embed codes such that the videos are streamed only for NFT holders.
- These embed codes that can be easily embedded into any website or mobile app.
- Web developers can simply copy/paste these codes into their html codes in their favorite editor or within their CMS (ex: WordPress).
- The websites where the dapp/widget runs will allow Theta video streaming only for holders of membership (utility) NFTs purchased on the Theta network.
- In other words, the main mechanism is NFT serving as membership token to enable display/streaming of videos.
- For example, consider a process that is progressing, such as levels in a game, and guiding videos for making it to the next level are displayed only to holders of a certain NFT.
- The simple big idea is using a simple code snippet that can be embedded into any html page, and streaming videos only if the NFT is stored in the user's connected wallet.
- Currently, such a code snippet (embed code) can be generated through ThetaVideoAPI, but the connection to ThetaDrop wallet is not possible, hence the need for a dapp like TheTangibleLife.
How we built it
- Chakra UI
- RoboHash - for generating robot avatars.
- Theta Wallet
- Theta video API
- Hardhat/Remix - for smart contract compiling.
- Theta Testnet
- WordPress with Cherry Blog theme to demonstrate the use cases.
- YayImages, DepositPhotos, and TheNounProject for copyright-granted stock images and icons.
- Pexels for copyright-granted videos.
- Filmstro and Uppbeat for copyright-granted music.
- White Label Fitness Course life-time deal purchased from AppSumo.
- Synthesia for creating AI-generated videos with avatars.
- RelayThat to create banner that directs user to sponsor through affiliate link.
- BerryCast for screen recording.
- AicooSoft Video Converter to reduce video sizes.
- GitHub as the code repository.
- Discord for communication and coordination.
- 11Sight for video meetings.
Challenges we ran into
- Setting a private network was quite a challenge, which we eventually did not pursue.
- Documentation for Theta technologies can be improved. More extensive documentation, especially video documentation, can help users and developers in many tasks, including the depositing of testnet TFUEL.
- Creating the right embed code so the video fully fits in the iframe.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Designing and implementing a simple yet effective system that can enable exponential growth of Theta Network and Theta Token.
- Working on not only one, but actually eight projects during the hackathon: (1) An easy-to-use dapp that can be directly by anyone to generate embed codes (Disclaimer: not fully functional at the time of submission). and (2...8) Seven web projects in different domains, with different end goals, that demonstrate a rich collection of use cases to make Theta Network grow.
- Making sure that all the content used in the use cases are copyright-granted, either created by the project team or purchased videos.
What we learned
So many things!
What's next for TheTangibleLife
- Monetization by charging TFUEL for the generated embed codes. This can be by a prepaid wallet connected to the Theta network, where first TFUEL is deposited. Then, as TFUEL is used to generate the embed codes, these credits can be used.
- Monetization through NFT sales, which requires smart contracts where the different types of NFT are created by the admins and can be purchased directly from within the dapp by users.
- Uploading multiple videos would help creators do more in less time.
- Testing to embed the codes into websites developed using decentralized CMS.
Categories of use cases (dimensions of the "Great Online Game") are: Socialize, Learn, Work, Move, Entertain, Play, and Travel.
- Socialize: Consider a professional network, whose masked member information are displayed openly, but their detailed self-intro videos can be accessed only through becoming member of the "NFT Club" (ex: Bored Apes Yatch Club members, who even establish restaurants.
- Learn: Online instructors can use general-purpose blockchain video streaming, together with membership NFTs, to create their ad-hoc decentralized Udemy.
- Work: New employees of a company can be airdropped with the employee NFTs as a part of their digital welcome/onboarding package, which enable them to learn all about the company, culture, and work responsibilities.
- Move: As in the "M2E - Move to Earn" dapps, which rewards physical exercise, only members of a virtual sports club (with membership NFTs) can be allowed to watch physical training videos.
- Entertain: Access to video streaming of videos, TV series and other media content through NFT-based DRM.
- Play: Hint/trick/easter egg videos can be streamed only to members (NFT holders), such as a "Riddle Gaming Platform", with riddles such as the following: "Rock on the bottom, Rock on the top, Meat in the middle. Go solve my riddle!"
- Travel: Hidden gems in a city can be revealed and displayed only to members (NFT holders).