Health workers are at the front line of the COVID-19 outbreak response and as such are exposed to hazards that put them at risk of infection. Hazards include pathogen exposure, long working hours, psychological distress, fatigue, occupational burnout, stigma, and physical and psychological violence. Our solution addresses these issues by implementing robotic assistants and self-service kiosks with the specific measures needed to protect occupational safety and health.
The solution we propose
- Use kiosks to manage workplace point of entrances
- Perform visual authentication of employee clearance status using face recognition
- Provide directions, guidance, and updates
- Scan patients autonomously in mass for presence of face mask and trigger alarms when mask is not properly in place
- Triage patients and employees using questionnaire and thermal camera temperature check
- Leverage self-service kiosk technology to support a high volume at point of entrance
- De-risk the testing staff and patients in such a setting by automating workflow and using robotics
- Support convenient flexible remote deployment and maintenance in makeshift, evolving and mobile testing locations such as at hotels and roadway checkpoints
How we built it
We formed strategic partnerships with EloTouch and Showbotixx in order to gain access to enterprise grade touchscreen kiosk hardware and the robot hardware. Then we purchased FLIR and SEEK thermal cameras to test each device with the hardware and chose the FLIR One Pro LT since it had an developer SDK framework for custom integration. We coded the prototype using Android Studio and deployed the APK on both EloTouch and Showbotixx devices to run a PoC demo app.
Challenges we ran into
The main challenges were with the thermal cameras. We discovered that the SEEK thermal camera is actually considered a weapon in USA because of its sensitivity level and also that the SEEK manufacturer doesn't support or provide a developer SDK. So this research process guided us into finding the FLIR One Pro LT camera that has SDK and is not banned from certain markets worldwide for commercial use.
Accomplishments that we are proud of
We are proud that our engineering team was able to accomplish the PoC in such a short period of time with limited resources and with the global lockdown, we still got access to specific hardware and the post office was able to deliver the devices to our home office on time and safely.
What we learned
We learned how to work with the FLIR Mobile SDK and thermal camera hardware, EloTouch touchscreen hardware, and Showbotixx robot android platforms.
What's next for MedicPad
We are looking for seed funding to scale up our marketing and sales worldwide. Contact us for our investor pitch deck!
What makes us unique and different
- Our key strategic partners and our experienced team give us the biggest competitive advantage.
- Our high quality enterprise engineering skills and in-house product development team are veterans in the industry giving us cutting edge scalable solutions at a minimal cost with frequent release updates to production delivering value to our customers monthly.
The value of our solutions after the crisis
Our robotic assistants and self-service screening kiosks could be used not only in the medical industry, but also in corporate buildings, retail spaces, airports, shopping malls, and many other public facilities. We also have a few other apps we've built that help patients track medication, nurses to track daily activity (paperless), telemedicine app and contact tracing app.
- Q: Which customers will you target? A: We are building software so consider our business model "Intel Inside / Powered by MedicPad" style of B2B software solutions targeting distributors and resellers worldwide to deploy and resell their solutions with our software driven features to deliver value to their existing and new customers.
- Q: Is it CE certified? A: We simply build software on/with existing partner hardware devices, such as robots, kiosks and thermal cameras with their own hardware certifications.
- Q: What is cost and time of assembly? A: We build software using existing large established hardware manufacturers worldwide to deliver our solutions which are already production ready and easy to deploy by simply downloading from the Google or Apple app stores.
- Q: Which geography regions do we focus on? A: Currently we are focusing on USA, Netherlands, Germany, Romania and Middle East. We have many strategic partners like Showbotixx, EloTouch, Pyramid Americas, Connected Technology Solutions, FLIR, SEEK and HealthInc.io to help us with our global sales efforts.