Created at Ball State University, The Traveler is a trip journal and digital sketchbook, designed for anyone who travels and wants to capture the experience in one seamless package.
The Traveler was recently selected as runner-up in the Google Fit Developer Challenge, and has had app reviews or mentions on LonelyPlanet.com, CNET.com, ZDNet.com, LiveMint.com and over 60 blogs and web sites from around the world. With over 111,000 downloads on Google Play from almost every country in the world, The Traveler has far exceeded our expectations and goals when this project was first developed for our students embarking on field trips and study abroad programs. The Traveler also features integration with Android Wear and a Glassware available for all Glass Explorers on https://glass.google.com/glassware.
From the academic perspective, The Traveler has visited all 7 continents and almost 40 countries over the past two years with Ball State University faculty and students. They've recorded over 100,000 miles of paths and collected almost 30,000 photos, videos, audio clips and other media items. Over 120 students from almost a dozen disciplines have participated in the project, including the College of Architecture and Planning (CAP) World Tour, Virginia Ball Center Freedom Bus project and the Journalism trip to the 2014 Winter Olympics. Lohren Deeg, assistant professor in CAP and Kyle Parker, developer of The Traveler, authored a book chapter that was recently included in Mobile Media Learning: Innovation and Inspiration, published by Carnegie Mellon University's ETC Press.
Full app description
The app is available for Android phones and tablets running Android 4.0 or above, with additional capabilities included for the Samsung Galaxy Note device line‐up.
The Traveler features the integration of captured photos, short videos, drawn sketches, recorded audio files, quick location markers, and GPS tracking into a package that allows the user to organize information and media in an efficient and travel‐friendly interface. With Google Maps built into the app, users can retrace their steps, noting the locations where photos and other media assets were collected and the path traveled along the way.
For Samsung Galaxy Note devices, Traveler includes support for the S Pen to provide a sketching and drawing canvas for digital sketchbook capabilities.
- Capture photos, videos and audio on your trip and a marker will be added to the map where they were created;
- Start, pause or stop a new recording, or add a marker from Android Wear;
- Sync fitness activities as you travel with Google Fit;
- View charts depicting your fitness activities;
- Capture photos with Google Glass and share with your trip;
- Record your path and view on The Traveler web site;
- Export paths to Google Drive;
- Export paths to a file and import using your favorite map app or software;
- Share media with friends and family using your favorite social media apps;
- Share your entire trip with friends and family using Google Drive sync;
- Work offline to record your trips no matter where your travels take you;
- Sketch and draw with a variety of brushes, tools and colors using the S Pen.
Ball State University students, faculty and staff can connect their university account for additional features, including:
- Ability to sync all content (trips, paths and media) to a server at the university for archival and transferring to other devices;
- Invite others to join a trip;
- Share photos and other media assets between travelers;
- Invite friends and family to view your travels on the The Traveler web site - https://apps.bsu.edu/traveler
Help guides are available online at: https://apps.bsu.edu/Traveler/HelpGuides/Default.aspx
Web site for family and friends to view your travels: https://apps.bsu.edu/Traveler