Inspiration

I had a particular interest in doing a healthcare hack this year, for a lot of different reasons.: I had recently made the decision that after my graduation next year, I would no longer pursue a business career, and instead go back to school to pursue a degree in healthcare (specifically, patient care). That was my primary inspiration in this project. Not only to create a healthcare app, but I decided to go a different route and create a healthcare app specifically to help patients undergoing long term treatment or taking different sorts of medication.

This is a solo hack.

What it does

The Patient Medical Assistant ("PMA") is a web suite that has various features designed to help patients organize their treatments and medications. It has 6 primary features in total:

1) A function that allows the user to enter information to make an appointment with a doctor, which then saves the appointment information to a text document for future reference

2) A function that allows the user to track their weekly intake of medicine (checkboxes to be checked once the user has taken their medication for the day, and then to be reset at the end of the week... kind of like a virtual pillbox)

3) A medicine compatibility search: Some medicines can cause severe reactions when mixed with the wrong medications. A local database search allows the user to select the medication they are using, which brings up basic information about the medication, including what it cannot be mixed with.

4) Medical office search. The google maps API is integrated into the website, in the case that a user wanted to search for the nearest office or hospital, while still staying within the platform.

5) Online medical file retrieval: This was originally supposed to contain a call for the Merck API, but this did not work out (more on that later). Instead, I created an external link that would securely display the information for the current user

6) A list of general resources. Phone numbers, hotlines, and websites that respond to people who may be abusing drugs, victims of abuse or sexual assault, contemplating suicide, or other at-risk individuals, to give patients any resources they may need.

How I built it

With the exception of the google API (which was almost entirely handled by google) I built the majority of the functions using ASP.NET. A mix of HTML, CSS, and Javascript made up for a vast majority of the interface, although some functionality was supported by visual basic running in the backend.

Challenges I ran into

The biggest challenge I ran into was integrating the API's that I felt were necessary for the project. This was actually my first time ever working with an API, and although only one of the two worked, it added a great amount of functionality to the website.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Considering this is the first project I ever worked on alone, I am incredibly proud of the entire website. I worked very hard, and to complete a project for a cause that I feel personally drawn to makes me very happy that I chose this one.

What I learned

APIs are difficult, but enough fiddling with the code and something good will eventually happen

What's next for The Patient Medical Assistant

Because a good portion of the PMA is already built, I would love to launch it to the public, eventually. I feel like this app help a lot of people, and make something that can make someone's life very stressful much easier.

** PLEASE NOTE that my databases are local. They will NOT work on the github repository!!!**

Share this project:

Updates