Inspiration

The desire to provide the necessary equipment to do something good for the community that can be decided upon by the user. The developers have the opportunity to adapt the use of our product across a variety of fields. Unlike other devices, our product is not specific to a singular field with applications from game development to social good. We wanted to create a user interface product that allows the user the freedom to interact with a multitude of devices, of which one pertinent application would be for like a robotic arm for example.

What it does

The glove mimics the hand movements of the user through the use of an accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer to track hand movements and position. We decided to stick with a glove that captures the 3d position of the human hand and then we pass the data through Unity. On Unity, we have our Kalman filter and other similar filters to help filter out noise and create usable data for our IMUs. This also allows us to use Unity as a platform for potential AR/VR applications. Afterwards, we take the usable data and we write the data to our stepper motor driver that runs our stepper motors. We have a robotic arm and we are trying to use the IMUs to mimic robotic movement and show proof of concept.

How we built it

This hackathon, our main focus was completing our motor code and making the robotic arm from scratch. We had to do all our CAD designs at the hackathon and we constantly ran the 3D printer that was provided to achieve our goal. We also had to wire the stepper motor correctly and the IMU to achieve data acquisition. On the Unity program, we incorporated the filter and fortunately, had a judge who was kind enough to help us implement the Magnetometer for directional control. We used 3D printed parts designed with Autodesk Fusion 360, an Arduino, stepper motors programmed with C++, and HOT GLUE (really important) to construct our robotic arm.

Challenges we ran into

We had issues with 3D design due to the complex nature of our parts and the limited bed size of the 3D printer. We also had to take in data from the IMU and accurately find the position. The stepper motors needed to respond to the recorded movements, resulting with challenges in programming accurate, smooth movements from each stepper motor. These challenges were just a few that we choose to highlight when completing our tasks.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

The challenges we faced with a limited bed size in 3D printing forced us to create a modular design that could be easily modified with different parts or assemblies to adapt to different roles. This meant more 3D CAD in order to compensate and with a beginner to CADding, it was definitely a hurdle to get through the first couple hours and teach CAD. However, the intuitive design in Fusion 360 allowed for quick lessons and gladly didn't take up most of the hackathon. We have a semi-working robotic arm that can match the movements provided by the IMU and this is the accomplishment we are most proud of. ## What we learned An important thing we learned was to learn how to CAD models centered around 3D printing so that they can maintain structural integrity and print as fast as possible. Also, teammates learned how to operate Fusion 360 and learned new languages like C++. These were only a snapshot of the multitude of things we learned at the hackathon.

What's next for The Glove

We hope to improve on the design we have created at HackMerced with further development of the arm design and improvement to structural integrity. The base of our arm is improvised with limited time and lack of optimization while 3D printing. In terms of software, we would hope to improve the smoothness of the motor movements without reducing speed, a limitation and challenge with stepper motors.

People Behind Us

look at me now mom!

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates