Inspiration

We were faced with a problem; surfaces aren't safe but you still need to touch them, how do you do that safely. The options on the market now seem to get the job don but there are some big flaws in their design and they need to be addressed.

What it does

Our Team has developed a device we call the Germ Eraser. It is a portable UVC Light that the user shines on an unclean surface before touching. We designed it to be about the size of a standard handheld thermometer. The user would simply shine the light on a surface for about 8 seconds to disinfect it. When we look under the hood, our build would consist of an injection molded housing made out of ABS or PETG. In our demonstration model, we printed it out of PLA. The electronics consist of a 40 watt UVC Excimer Lamp, a 3,300 14V Lipo Battery, a Mechanical Time Delay Circuit, and an LED Cleaning Cycle Indicator. We wanted to make sure that this device would work reliably and be cost effective to manufacture.

How I built it

Since we are all industrial design students, we just followed the process we were taught:

  1. Develop a Problem Statement
  2. Brainstorming &Market Research
  3. Ideation
  4. Prototyping
  5. Modeling
  6. Testing
  7. Final Product

We started out with defining our problem and the we had 4 sketching sessions where did some form exploration. At the conclusion of each session, we took the best elements of all the forms and then used those as a framework for the next round of sketches. After 4 cycles we were able to hone in on a final form that we all liked.

At this point we split the work up, some of us did the 3D modeling while others wrote the script for the video and conducted our research. Slowly as the weekend progressed, we were able to polish up our work into a presentation that we are all proud of!

Challenges I ran into

One of the main challenges was that of size. We wanted the product to be as small as it could be but we still wanted it to be effective. The parameters that we gave ourselves dictated the size of some components and that forced the shape to change a little as the project progressed.

Another issue was that of the electronic timing circuit. None of us are particularly well acquainted with electronics so it was a bit of an uphill battle but we ultimately were able to overcome these little bumps in the road.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Even though we were not able to meet in person and share ideas that way, we were able to work and communicate as a team and ultimately achieve something that we were all surprised at how much we got done in a week. We are truly proud of our little product!

What I learned

We learned what 5 people and a weekend of hard work can do. Usually it takes us about 6-10 weeks during the semester to complete what we did in 2.5 days.

What's next for The Germ Eraser

Hopefully we can get some of the UVC Bulbs and run some tests on some surfaces and fine tune the dosages.

Thanks for the Consideration, We had a Blast!

The Studio Survivors: Joe Oliveira Daniel Haines Kajal Ramrup Lemmuel Escalona Matthew Mateo

Built With

  • 3dprinting
  • industrialdesign
  • keyshot9
  • premierpro
  • solidworks
Share this project:

Updates