Goal: App to help anyone quickly find a great weekend getaway wherever they are.
Scope: Minimum project for a 24h coding hackaton (single person); focus on local tourism; 3rd theme (accommodation finder); use Sabre APIs.
Bigger picture: Figure out more precise and complete itineraries (include train, taxi, rent, drive) with full instant booking.
Necessity to quickly find a weekend's getaway. Last minute bookings and last minute local travel.
What it does
Finds destinations for a pleasant weekend trip given only a budget. As simple as it can.
How I built it
The APP was implemented in HTML/jQuery/PHP but with a responsive touch to feel like a mobile APP.
The team is a single developer, emphasis was on the back-end rather then user interface.
- User provides budget
- Find airports close to user (20km)
- Find airports close enought to flight to direct (3 hour flight, 1500km)
- Lookup the cheapest flight to each airport
- Outbound flights must be within Friday 6PM-10PM or Saturday 8AM-12AM
- Inbound flights must be within Sunday 6PM-10PM
- Lookup the most expensive hotel within the remaining budget
- Return results featuring the destinations, and what to do there, ordered by play time
- Uses Sabre's InstaFlight and HotelAvail APIs
Challenges I ran into
Main challenges in this prototype were integrating with Sabre SOAP API and optimizing the geolocation driven search.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
A first complete version of the MVP was accomplished, though more time is need to test and make it basically functional.