Inspiration

The thing that inspired me is that sometimes keeping our eyes glued to the device screen puts some severe effects on our eyes and it becomes tiresome too to read the pdf continually. That is the reason this thing is developed to provide relief to the eyes.

What it does

The code extracts the document information and converts the text into speech and reads the words aloud following the punctuation rules.

How we built it

I first import the python library PyPDF2. PyPDF2 acts as a pdf toolkit. The function of this is to extract the document information and if required then encrypt and decrypt the pdf file. From this library the class PdfFileReader is imported.

The second library imported is pytttsx3. This library is used for text to speech conversion. Using pyttsx3 the application invokes the pyttsx3.init() factory function to get a reference to a pyttsx3.Engine instance. During construction, the engine initializes a pyttsx3.driver. The DriverProxy object is responsible for loading a speech engine driver implementation from the pyttsx3.drivers module. After construction, the application uses the engine object to register and unregister event callbacks, produce and stop speech, get and set speech engine properties; and start and stop event loops.

At the end a loop is run to extract information of each page and read it aloud in a specific volume of our choice and also the male or female voice of our choice.

Challenges we ran into

The challenges I faced was that after multiple attempts and putting the pdf in the correct location was the program able to read aloud the pdf.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

The programme was debugged successfully and it can help people to listen to it when they feel tired while continually gluing their eyes to the screen.

What we learned

Learnt the use of two python libraries

What's next for Texeech

Thinking of building an app for android, to recognize handwritten texts in pdf and reading them aloud and also to read aloud various scientific formulas.

Share this project:

Updates