Tenant App Homepage
Green Campaigns - Tenant Leader Board
Green Habit Notifications
My Green Activity
Green Campaigns - Company Leaderboard
Green Room Booking
At Prescriptive Data one of our main goals is to help building owners and tenants find ways to run their buildings more efficiently so that they can reduce energy usage and save money.
Studies show that 50-80% of a building's energy use comes from the very building occupants themselves.
We thought it'd be an interesting challenge to see if we could build features within our tenant experience app that could drive tenant occupants to behave in a more "green manner".
So while most tenant experience apps contain features that aim to satisfy and delight the tenant, what if there were a way to do all those things but still make them conscious of their energy footprint within their building.
This is what the "Seeing Green" project aims to achieve.
What it does
Seeing Green is a collection of tenant app features that aim to help building owners and tenants increase occupant engagement.
1) Green Habit Notifications:
- Send actionable recommendations to users on how they can reduce energy usage.
- Recommendations are personalized based on their activities and habits within their building.
2) Green Room Booking:
- Find rooms that utilize the least amount of watt/sf based based on real-time energy efficiency information.
- Book the greenest room just before your meeting starts through “Smart Book”.
- Models and considerations used within the room booking algorithms include:
- A simplified resistance capacitance (RC) network model is used to approximate the the building's thermal dynamics.
- Reg. lighting: The required lighting power per unit area of the test case building is derived from the ASHRAE Standard 90.1
- The ventilation requirement for the multi-zone office building in the case study is derived from the New York City Mechanical Code (Chapter 4-Ventilation)
3) Room Ramps:
- Pre-heat / pre-cool rooms within comfort-band based on booking schedules.
- Turn-on / off amenities such as lights and televisions just before a meeting starts / completes.
- Leverages room booking information and building operating system connections to IoT devices
4) Green Campaigns and Competitions:
- Ties green actions to accountability through gamification.
- Tenants and building owners can offer green challenges between tenants.
- Track points for tenant actions to see how they’re helping/hindering their office.
How we built it
Our prototype leverages existing features from our NANTUM Tenant Experience app and NANTUM Core and Shell products.
Our features are built using a cross-disciplinary team that includes front-end, back-end engineers, IoT/hardware engineers, and data-scientists.
What's next for the Seeing Green initiative.
Additional areas we see as next steps for the Seeing Green initiative:
Explore building out M&V tools that could report to building owners and tenants the effects of these green campaigns.
Integrate building wide competitions such as "Mayor's Carbon Challenge" into the campaign and contest feature.
Investigate more sophisticated reward incentives (e.g. energy credits/crypto currencies) for tenants.