Login page that uses OAuth to sign in user's through a google sign-in button.
Organisation page where user's can add pages for each organisation they are a part of.
The basic dashboard view of an organisation the user is a part of. The task list is displayed in the left column with added details.
Picture displaying basic task adding function, with assignees, task title and a detailed description if desired.
We were inspired by email applications such as Gmail but realised that as far as we know there isn't an application where supervisors can send tasks to a user's email and where user's can easily keep track of their to-do list in a way that allows them to assign tasks to other members. We think that TaskAll therefore has the possibility to increase workplace efficiency when fully developed and that is one of the main reasons we were inspired to try creating at the very least a working prototype of the site.
What it does
It also exposes a public API so that tasks can be assigned from other applications albeit not using an API key and therefore not securely.
How we built it
The front-end was built with HTML/CSS and ReactJS and served through a Golang webserver. The Golang webserver also exposes a few API endpoints to allow the ReactJS front-end to communicate with the PostgreSQL database on the back-end. The back-end is hosted on Linode servers behind an NGINX proxy and a firewall that regulates and protects the PostgreSQL database and traffic going to it. A shell script pipeline was also built to allow the easy testing and deployment of the front-end/back-end code to the server which was needed because the software was dependent on the OAuth2 API which was only available through a trusted domain.
Challenges we ran into
One of the challenges we encountered was the steep learning curve as we all had never really worked with the technologies and languages that we used during the Hackathon.
We also had difficulty getting the front-end to speak to the back-end which necessitated an API that acted as a middle-man to the proxying of the requests to the PostgreSQL database.
Finally, a major challenge was that 3 out of the 4 of us had trouble setting up a work environment that would allow us to locally see what changes we've made to the software's frontend appearance. It took us about 4 hours to finally have everyone set-up and looking back we've learned to set up the software we need in advance for future Hackathons.
Accomplishments that we are proud of
We are proud of taking our idea and trying to implement it using technologies that we had no prior experience with. This includes making it mobile and web accessible.
We are proud of everything we were able to learn and the site that we were able to put together in 24hrs despite initial struggles.
We are also proud of the teamwork we demonstrated in helping each other whenever one of us was stuck and needed a hand. We communicated very well and despite the stress of the Hackathon still managed to maintain a positive attitude.
What we learned
What's next for TaskAll
We will continue developing it into a more complete application. This will include a more aesthetically pleasing appearance but also some key features like user hierarchy, a potential messaging system and many more.