The COVID-19 physical distancing and stay-at-home orders have changed our daily lives. Working from home, or rather, "homing" from work, gives us little to no opportunity to get enough exercise. Hence, this skill will create a unique music track to help you get a fun and energetic High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) in 4 minutes only.
What it does
This skill builds a unique workout music track every time it runs. It utilizes the new Alexa Presentation Language for Audio to produce a new track that mixes an upbeat track for the active seconds, a slower track for the rest minutes and generates the speech that goes with both types of tracks. The end result, no two tracks are the same.
What is Tabata
Tabata is a form of HIIT or High-Intensity Interval Training that consists of 8 rounds of 20 seconds each of maximum effort exercise, each round is followed by 10 seconds of rest. The entire workout lasts 240 seconds or 4 minutes in total.
- Tabata is a great workout for fat burning. Additionally, the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption keeps you burning calories for hours.
- It's short; it takes only 4 minutes to complete.
- Tabata increases your endurance.
How I built it
I have thought about creating this skill for years. I've attempted to build it in the past using ffmpeg and Tone.js but it turned out to be very complicated and didn't work right. This skill couldn't have been made possible if it wasn't for Alexa Presentation Language for Audio (APL-a)
Challenges I ran into
The hardest part which also took the longest was to programmatically pick the tracks, mix them together along with the speech prompts. Fine tunning took weeks to get to this publish-worthy version.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
What I'm proud of and so excited about is the fact that the skill was approved and published on the first attempt of certification. Typically, it used to take me an average of 3 attempts to get a skill certified and published :)
What I learned
- APL for Audio and Video.
- Creating a rich audio experience makes the skill a lot more interesting to use. I'm pleased by the endless music track possibilities that this skill can mix and create on the fly.
What's next for Tabata Workout
- Personalize the skill so that it can keep track of personal progress and suggest unique workouts based on user preference.
- Send reminders to users who haven't used the skill in a few days.
bold Enjoy the music and if you have a royalty-free track that is a good fit for this skill, please let us know and we would be more than happy to add it to our library; email@example.com