Inspiration and What it does
synk' is a comprehensive solution for mental and physical health that is accessible, convenient, and effective. Inspired by the need for better treatment options for people with mental health conditions, our app uses VR technology to create immersive virtual environments where users can safely confront and work through their challenges. In addition to helping with mental health, our app includes a yoga posture correction module to help users stay physically fit. Our goal is to empower people to take control of their well-being and live happier healthier lives. With our app, traditional therapy options are no longer the only option, and users can receive treatment from the comfort of their own homes. By bringing together VR technology and evidence-based therapy methods, we are revolutionizing the way people receive treatment.
synk' also includes features that promote engagement and accountability, such as progress tracking and a leaderboard for the yoga module. This allows users to see how far they have come and stay motivated to continue on their wellness journey. Our app is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use, with a straightforward interface and simple navigation. Our virtual environments are immersive and realistic, helping users to feel as though they are actually in the situation they are working on. Whether you're struggling with a mental health condition, looking to improve your physical fitness, or simply looking for a convenient and effective way to take control of your well-being, synk' is the solution you've been searching for.
Key Features of synk
- Exposure therapies
- Personalized environment for dementia patients.
- Yoga and Gym posture correction
- Gamefied experience with a leaderboard to keep the user motivated
- much more coming soon...
How we built it
We built it with ❤️ and some C# in Unity. Initially, our motive was to target only phobias, but with the help of mentors and all the brainstorming, we were able to include all these features into our app. The Computer Vision part was developed in Python using mediapipe and OpenCV library. Also, we used the Gvr event system and Gvr Editor Emulator for the Virtual reality part.
Challenges we ran into
Our journey was full of ups and downs. Be it the internet not working or no mentor available in the AR/VR domain. But we saw this as an opportunity and overcome most of these challenges by reading the documentation in deep and doing some experiments with the software. Controlling the environments in cheaper-VR headsets was a great problem because we had to keep our product cost-effective too.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We are proud of controlling the environment without having expensive controllers in hand.
- We developed our own firebase-based controller using ESP8266 and some sensors, which we didn't include in this project, but will surely do in the upcoming projects when it will be completely flawless.
- Improved access to physical and mental health services.
- Positive impact on the users' life.
What we learned
- We learned about the different mental diseases that exist but most of us don't know. We even added a module that'll help to educate the user about such illnesses making the world a better place.
- The benefits of integrating physical and mental health: By including a yoga posture correction module in the app, we learned about the interplay between physical and mental health and the benefits of addressing both.
- The challenges of app development: we likely faced a variety of challenges while developing the app, such as technical difficulties, design challenges, and the need to ensure that the app is user-friendly and accessible.
- The importance of feedback: By receiving feedback from the mentors and making changes based on that feedback, we likely learned the importance of constantly improving the app and responding to user needs.
What's next for synk'
- Expansion of therapy offerings: We can explore adding new types of therapy to the app, such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), to better meet the needs of users.
- Improved virtual environments: We will continue to improve the virtual environments in the app, making them more immersive and realistic, and incorporating new VR technologies as they become available.
- Expansion to new platforms: We can explore expanding the app to new platforms, such as wearable devices or augmented reality (AR) headsets, to reach a wider audience.
- Evidence-based research: We can explore conducting research to gather evidence of the effectiveness of the VR therapy app and to further refine the therapy methods used in the app.
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.