One of the largest downfalls of VR is the lack of ability for people outside of the headset to engage with the player who is playing inside the headset. Some VR games, such as Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, attempt to create an engaging multiplayer environment, yet still do not provide enough engagement from outside players. The goal of Switch VR was to create an engaging multiplayer experience for people outside of the headset to take part in.
What it does
Switch VR involves two players: a player inside the VR headset and a player playing on the desktop display and keyboard. There are several lamps inside the scene, and the goal of the Desktop player (the "Dark" player) is to switch off all the lamps in the scene before the time limit, while the goal of the VR player (the "Light" player) is to prevent the Desktop player from doing so before the time limit. The VR player can immobilize and block the Desktop player by shooting him/her or using voice commands, such as "attack", "block", "secure", "find", and "search", to activate power ups. There are several clones in the scene wandering around in order to confuse the VR player.
How I built it
We used Unity and VR plugins such as Newton VR, SteamVR, and VRTK. We also used Microsoft Cognitive Services for Speech-To-Text recognition.
Challenges I ran into
- Integrating calls to Microsoft Cognitive Services for voice commands as well as feeding MCS AudioClips recorded through Unity.
- Separating the VR and Desktop players. ## Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Accomplishing both of my challenges above.
- Successfully creating a multiplayer VR game which is very rare, if not one of the first of its kind.
- Integrating what I have learned from Make School Summer Academy into my project. ## What I learned
- How to utilize outside API calls in Unity.
- How to create a VR multiplayer game
- How to implement different mechanics and game features. ## What's next for Switch VR
- More and bigger levels.
- More voice commands.
- Open world adventure game???
- Improved Wandering clone AI.