Gabriel, Clara and Omar are first time hackers, and Teresa is an experienced hacker.

Inspiration

As we are all students (3 of us are going to university next year), we all had to jump some hurdles this year during distance learning. One main studying techniques that is now hindered by COVID-19 are face-to-face study groups. Through these groups, students can teach the material to others (Protege Effect) and hold each other accountable. We wanted to make a platform that could build a community of students (bees) who could learn from one another, build connections and practice wellbeing. We thought of "studycomb" because of the word "honeycomb", since students are like bees working hard and our website has various rooms (little hexagonal shapes) portraying different meets. The website can also be portrayed as a "safe place" for students to return to after a long day of lectures/classes.

What it does

This website is designed to be only compatible on computers/laptops, as phones are a major distraction during studying. Users must sign up with university/school account, for security reasons. Bees (students) will be able to join zoom/jitsi meetings, where they can find study buddies studying the same subject. Through these meets, students are able to teach, or practice their own study methods, such as the pomodoro technique. There are also rooms for social games and networking, where students can earn 'honey points' and redeem them at the end of the week for gift cards. Lastly, to practice wellbeing, there are rooms for practicing meditation and a dashboard for daily tasks.

How we built it

We used HTML, CSS + Tailwind CSS, JS and Python Django. We designed the prototype on Figma.

Challenges we ran into

3 of us are first time hackers who were complete beginners in both Figma prototyping and front end languages. It was a steep learning curve for them, which caused is to spend almost all our time on our static files and styling. Our experienced hacker had a basic understanding of HTML CSS, but had a hard time styling with Tailwind CSS. We had a hard time connecting our python django with our files and make our website fully functional (login, making new rooms)

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We were able to design a prototype and code the html files very similar to what we wanted it to look like. We all collaborated really well together. The learning curve was steep, but all of us pulled through.

What we learned

We learned html, css, js, tailwind css and different study techniques that we can use.

What's next for studycomb

We would connect the django and front end, because we ended up not finishing it due to time constraints. Along with that, we would make the login and rooms fully functional.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates