just a little code
I was initially going to make a Health app, but I was intrigued by the interesting crime data available on the EveryBlock API. I came up with an app that uses this cool data while providing a useful service.
What it does
Philly SafeStroll allows users to enter an origin and destination for their "stroll." The app calculates the safest estimated rout to get to your destination while avoiding the most recent crime. An algorithm is used that includes crime location and crime severity in producing a risk percentage from which users can choose a route from.
How I built it
I built it using Android Studio. The APIs that were involved are: the EveryBlock API, Google Maps API, Google Directions API, and Google Places API.
Challenges I ran into
- I've never used an API before and I didn't know how to make HTTP requests.
- I have no team, therefore, no sleep.
- The algorithm was extremely confusing and failed multiple times.
- There was just SO much crime to process, which made the app slow and crashed a couple times.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Making a back-end heavy app when I barely even knew the definition of an API when I came here.
- Making a complicated geometric algorithm and coding everything without team members to share the load.
What I learned
- Using APIs!!
- Making JSON requests and manipulating JSONArrays and JSONObjects.
- Integrating A Google Maps view in an Android app.
- so much more....
What's next for StrollSafe
Definitely what's next is to add a database to significantly reduce the time that it takes for the app to analyze crime data.