Inspiration

3 days before the Hackathon, we had a brainstorming session with each other. An interesting idea we came across was an app that could potentially locate restaurants based on a specific dish + price range and list them off. We weren't familiar with the technology to create such a thing, so we wanted to start building the foundations for that idea.

We also wanted to get more familiar with Python, because it isn't commonplace in the Temple curriculum.

One particular member, Matthew Jacobs kickstarted the drive to join the Hackathon, and we're very happy we took part.

What it does

The project first takes in user input from a Java applet, and then the Python component converts that data into an API call to Google Place Search. Place Search then returns a JSON from which we extract a list of unique Place ID variables. With these place ID's we make another sequence of calls to Google Place Details from which we grab the parameters that we want to evaluate or include in the output.

A list of Website URL's are then generated, and we plug them into a webscraper that looks for particular keywords/phrases that would be assosciated with a sale. If any such strings are found, the website is kept in the final output. This component could be developed further to use a more sophisticated manner of finding sales.

How we built it

The GUI was built using Java The rest of the Project was built using Python. We utilized 2 Google Cloud API's. The WebScraper made use of BeautifulSoup

Challenges we ran into

If one person got stuck in the project, others who were dependant on their part had to wait to be able to test their own pieces We had to rapidly learn a relatively unfamiliar language to us Researching how to use the Google API's took a considerable amount of time Small mistakes would cause us to start making large changes in places unrelated to the problem We had a huge runtime problem at some point, which was later optimized

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/uRjEz38m/owlhacks-storefront Creating a project within a small amount of time, that actually brought us closer to the idea that we had initially brainstormed Helping each other debug through screen share was fun We did manage to maintain a consistent workflow throughout

What we learned

Tons of Python Web Scraping API usage GUI

What's next for Storefront

We still need to link the GUI with the rest of the Project more elegantly A more sophisticated way to determine whether or not stores have sales Applying the framework to some more interesting problems like the ones we had brainstormed Testing more extensively to fix exceptions/errors Sleeping!

Built With

Share this project:

Updates