Given that one of the challenges for the Oasis Bloom Hackathon was GameFi, We had to think, what makes a compelling game? What makes a game that people would want to play continually? After some research, we noted that people like competition. People will continually take on a challenge to prove that they are better than others. One of the most popular games at the time was Wordle. A simple game where each day, players compete to complete the day's challenge word in the least amount of tries. The bragging rights?

Wordle 303 1/6


A grid you can share to your socials to show how good you are!

Given how popular yet simple Wordle is? We thought of other games along the same line and in came the SpellingBee.

What it does

The SpellingBee is a spelling contest held on the Blockchain. At specific intervals, a new challenge will be created against which players will compete to be among the first maxWinners players to complete the challenge. These players will be awarded with a reward token on a linear inverse function according to the order of completion. The reward token also has some utility in the context of the SpellingBee game. It can be used by players who find the current a bit difficult to request for a clue. 70% of the amount used to pay for a clue will be burned while the remaining 30% will be transferred to the contract owner. This utility we hope will give players some incentive to keep playing the game since they can trade their winnings off to people who'll want to purchase the clue for the day.

How we built it

Both the smart contracts and the front-end are hosted in the same repo. The Smart Contract development and testing was done with Solidity through Hardhat for project management. The front-end was built with React.js on TypeScript.

Challenges we ran into

  1. Trying to find the right tokenomics to kickstart such a project was difficult.
  2. A good way to maintain confidentiality of the challenge solutions & clues. We felt like using both the front-end in addition to the smart contracts for a confidentiality solution may make the dApp less of a dApp since other front-ends may not be able to plug into the challenge contracts.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Being able to come up with and develop the Spelling Bee contracts is something we are happy to have been able to do.

What we learned

  1. Was able to increase our understanding of TypeScript and Solidity.
  2. Was able to understand and appreciate the Smart Contract development process using Hardhat.

What's next for SpellingBee

Should we win a prize, we will be looking to use some of those funds to provide initial liquidity to our reward token on YuzuSwap. We'll also be looking to extend our project with some of the feedback we will have gotten from the panel. We also envision that the reward token could be extended into DAO governance where holders may be able to vote on the future of the project like extending it into different languages.

Built With

Share this project: