The Inspiration of the idea came from attending a Toastmasters International club meeting. In this meeting one member was assigned the role of grammarian. The grammarians job is to keep track of all the filler words used by the speakers. Our idea was to recreate this experience using a mobile application so when speakers are practicing their speeches alone they can still be informed on the amount of filler words they are using.

What it does (or supposed to do)

The mobile application will record your speech for you then use a speech to text api to record it. The outputed text is then analysed for filler words such as "um" and "like" a count of each words use is returned to the user as well as their other 3 top used words.

How we built it

Android Studio and Java

Challenges we ran into

The major challenge experienced was trying to find a speech to text api that worked for our application. Most of our effort went into the Nuance api but we ran into many issues using their web socket in a mobile app.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

We were able to build our full version minus the speech to text. If that one element was complete I feel like we would have an amazing product so I am proud of all the work we were able to complete.

What I learned

We learned a lot about web sockets and API integration with android studios.

What's next for Speech 101

The next step would be to find an API that converts large audio files to text and that works with android applications. We also have many plans to track other speaking data such as words per minute, record if there were any long pauses and determine average sentence length. All this information would help someone trying to master public speaking by acknowledging their weaknesses.

Built With

Share this project: