Our motivation is to give users back their privacy
What it does
Chrome extension: Uses PGP encryption to encrypt all messages when they are being sent (using the recipient's public key). It also decrypts all the received messages using the user's own private key.
Public key storage system: Stores user's public key, name, email address and phone number. It acts as a directory to look up your friend's public keys.
How we built it
Chrome extension uses OpenPGPJS to encrypt and decrypt messages. It is able to fetch your friend's public keys from our storage directory if its not found on your local storage.
Storage directory uses NodeJS's express web server along with a MySQL database
Challenges we ran into
- Using OpenPGP to encrypt and decrypt message.
- Listening for a new message on WhatsApp
- Using public key cryptography. Its more complex than we thought.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Successfully encrypt and decrypt messages as required on WhatsApp Web
What we learned
- Learnt a lot about public key cryptography
What's next for Speak Securely
- Use this extension to be able to encrypt Facebook messages.