Daphne Oram's An Individual Note of Music, Sound and Electronics
What it does
Each time the web page is loaded it generates a frequency from an array of one fundamental and 13 harmonics. When the image on screen (a vegetable) is pressed it plays that frequency and when it is let go it stops.
The idea is that numerous people would load this page and press their veggies at the same time, creating an effect of additive synthesis.
How I built it
Challenges I ran into
Triggering an oscillator between start and stop can only occur once, which is a behaviour built into the API. To get around this the oscillator is started on page load and the button press toggles this in and out of the audio context (like patching an audio signal in a patch bay).
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Better understanding of the Web Audio API.
- Learning some CSS animation stuffs.
- Building a thing from scratch without copy pasting code to get started.
What's next for Sound Soup
- Adding aria roles so it can be used with keyboard inputs.
- Adding a gain manipulation from the MouseY input.
- More Veggies!
- More sound recipes!