Inspiration

We chose to take up the challenge of Sophia Genetics to set up a tool for hospitals. We chose a React application to be present on both IOS and Android and Web coupled with a DNA measurement algorithm. We wanted an easy-to-use application offering effective visualizations for real-time consideration of possible contaminations.

What it does

The user loads a sample into our application that sends it to our database and will be used by our algorithm to identify the danger. Once these data are recovered, our application is able to show the contamination rate of the samples studied, to group the patients to identify pieces to quarantine. We have thought of notifications in the case of room highly contaminated by a dangerous pathogen.

How we built it

The application was made with React, the backend with SQL Database and Django Environment, the algorithm conception and utilisation through MetaPhlan.

Challenges we ran into

We had very little knowledge on bio-computing. Therefore understanding the dataset and the task was challenging. We struggled to find the right tools to process the data. It was for all of us our first hackathon and staying focused for such a long time.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We are proud to have set up a complete environment for our project and having doing all of that in a such short time. Most of all, we are proud of our complementary, mutual help and motivation within the group. We are proud to have participated all day and night in this challenge through exhaustion and difficulties.

What we learned

This challenge enabled us to learn a lot from coding an app to understand the science behind DNA sampling and do things we had never done before. Learn on the job is how we acquire knowledge today.

What's next for save.me

We hope Sofia Genetics will be able to develop further our application and backend by matching it with theirs datasets and infrastructure. We tried to develop something scalable at most as possible since DNA requires a heavy use of computing power.

Share this project:

Updates