Mental illness is a serious medical conditions which isn't given enough attention to due to the lack of education and awareness. In Canada one in four adults experience mental illness, and one in 17 have serious chronic mental illness, it can affect many health factors such as mood, thinking and behavior and can lead to other harmful disorders as well, which include depression, schizophrenia, addictive behaviors, etc.
having the right tech is the key to rehabilitate those suffering from mental illness. one national survey found that 80% of the time people start drinking excessively from either peer pressure or stress. our inspiration came from our friends from college who are suffering from an addiction of drinking excessively, and have always struggled to quit. They developed a problematic pattern in their life that is affecting their health and academic performance in school. They wanted a way out and therefore we came up with the idea of Sober society.
What it does
- Allows users to create, and read blog posts which share their experience with addictions,relapses etc. -Allows other users to comment on user blog posts, to share their reactions. -Allows users to create new challenges, that they will be part of to help tackle their addictions. As well as track their progress -Allows users to chat with other users, and professionals using two chatboxes, a live chat and a group chat. This allows users to get on-demand advice from people regarding their addictions.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
- Allowing users to add new challenges -Allowing users to edit their profiles
- Allowing other users to join user challenges -Using numeric for loops with Django
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Successfully linked back end to front end. -Creating a user friendly and interactive web application
What we learned
- How to implement designs from front end, with django framework.
- Creating models, views, with django
- Applying migrations
- Working with databases and tables.
What's next for Sober Society
- A fully functional Mobile App for Android and IOS(Design is in progress)
- Bug fixes
- More user functionality.