Menstruation, or period, is normal vaginal bleeding that happens as part of a woman's monthly cycle. Many women have painful periods. The pain is often menstrual cramps, which are a throbbing, cramping pain in your lower abdomen. You may also have other symptoms, such as lower back pain.
Women use hot water bottles, to relax the uterus, reduce the tightening of blood vessels, and improve the blood flow to the uterus. But there are many disadvantages in-case of hot water bottles and heat belts.
We present you our project:- Snuggle!
What it does
1) Small pocket-sized energy supplier, so that it's portable.
2) You can adjust the temperature at various parts of the body according to the pain felt with our mobile app. Not like other belts that provide heat all over the area, areas that don't require it.
3)Best alternative for traditional heating pads, so that working women can use it.
4) It's like a soft, comfortable elastic inner, not like other belts that are thick and uncomfortable belts Available in the market that causes suffocation.
5) Automatically gets off after 30 min, so that body doesn't get exposed to prolonged heat. If pain is there, after that also, it's adjusted accordingly.
6) During period days, the app sends a notification every 6 hrs to change the pad, to develop a healthy habit.
Phone connects to the device using bluetooth and send signals to the device through the app. Device accordingly turns on or off the selected heating elements at desired power level. There is also implemented timer which can be used to turn off all heating elements after 30min helpful in sleep mode.
Working of app:-
You have to sign up if you are a new user. Then you have to enter your name, email and set a password. If you already have an account, then sign in. After that, you can see your profile. There you will find your period tracker calendar, a period playlist, support team, and you can set reminders. Then go to the temperature adjustment page. You can adjust the temperature of any part you want to, either back or front, lower or upper, and then click one of them, on-off/low/medium/high.
How we built it
•hc-05 bluetooth module
•flexible low power heating pads
We have prepared a prototype of our app using figma.
Challenges we ran into
Our team was new to app development. It quite took long time to know about app development from basics. We had planned to build an app but unfortunately, it couldn't be completed on time. So, we came up with a back up plan, to design a prototype.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We could complete our hardware model in due time. According to our plan, we almost have presented all the features of our project.
What's next for Snuggle
We are planning to make the hardware model more comfortable. We will build the app too. We hope this product will be helpful for women, during their difficult time.