Inspiration

Alarmed by the state of the world's climate and environment, we thought that such a game could help sensitize young children.

What it does

The snake's body would change color at different moments of the game. Players should ensure that the snake only eats trash of the same color as its body at that moment. The based our color code on UBCO's own bins.

(More info at : https://sustain.ok.ubc.ca/sustcamp/operations/waste/sorting-it-out-faqs/)

Encountering the red traps will trigger a quiz with a randomly generated question on current environmental concerns. If the player answers correctly, they get to continue playing. Else, the game is terminated and the player loses.

How we built it

  • We built the game using the Java language, as well as the Swing GUI.
  • Pictures were edited with ProKnockout

Challenges we ran into

  • Figuring out how to use GitHub
  • Deciding on the project we would work on
  • Data Structures - especially threads
  • Pausing the game when the quiz dialog is triggered and resuming it afterwards (due to the use of threads)

Accomplishments that we're proud of

  • We worked together to create a game using unfamiliar classes, as well as the Swing GUI
  • We were also able to deal diplomatically with situations in which there were disagreements and to find solutions and common ground. Overall, we believe that we demonstrated excellent teamwork
  • We overcame the nervousness of being first-time hackers
  • We managed to work under pressure

What we learned

  • We gained insight on data structures such as linked lists, array lists and threads
  • We learnt more about the functionalities of the Java language
  • Teamwork
  • Time management
  • How to brainstorm and plan

What's next for Snake-It-Out

  • Improving the game design
  • Adding more questions to the quiz
  • Perhaps having more features to the minigame generated by the traps
  • Adding a pause function to the game
  • Create a website for the game with additional features such as discussion boards

Built With

Share this project:

Updates