We set out to create multiplayer snake! ...in a browser.
Inspired by Agar.io, we wanted to create a simple multiplayer game which would scale well, and allow players from anywhere to play.
The real struggle came with sending, receiving, and synchronizing data between any number of clients as well as the server. All this has to happen several times a second to maintain a usable performance, without overloading our server and causing latency as more and more users join.
The Fun, and the Future.
- Snake is wildly simple game, but throughout development we came up with so many fun ideas and cool things we could put into this game. Multiplayer snake opens up a lot of doors.
Some of the ideas we had:
- Having different skins for the snakes (user customizable)
- Being able to kill other snakes, when they die, their food is available.
- Snakes made of emojies or images, when you eat another snake, the emojies get absorbed into your snake
- Infinite world
- Speed boosts for the snakes
- Snake decay, the rich get taxed