IoT Enabled Smarter Home
Software Defined Speaker, Alarm, Watering, Security Camera... = Software Defined Everything!
Next generation smarter home is coming - and I'm building a super IoT connected intelligent personal assistant at home for busy professionals, old people, chronic patients etc.
Demonstrable for HK Speakers:
Internet Radio - any http based Internet streaming radio
real-time environment Sensors (temperature, humidity, noise / ambient sound, barometer, ambient light, any you can have more, e.g. smoke, gas, air quality...)
TFL real time bus API -> Text to Speech -> playback
Beacon geofencing - e.g. when you are about to leave the door, it will tell you the latest bus or train info!
How it works
- Intel Edison Wifi --> internet
- Intel Edison Bluetooth --> Harman Kardon speakers
- Intel Edison Bluetooth Low Energy --> can talk to BLE/(i)Beacon Stickers + Wearable sensors
- TI SensorTag as a dev watch device, including 9-axis movement sensors!
leverage Node.js eco-systems
Intel Edison Node.js engine --> API calls
- Transport for London (TFL) real-time bus API
- Google Translate Text to Speech API
- PulseAudio + Lame for mpeg decoding and audio playback
Challenges I ran into
- Google only returns 8192Hz audio - took 1 hour midnight to figure out!
- TFL API sucks :(
- Multiple Asynchronous HTTP API calls
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- My Harman Kardon Speaker can actually speak, about anything!!
- I have first laser cut front panel for my SmarterHome last Friday!
What I learned
- more APIs for Smarter Home - this time Google Translate API, TFL Bus API
What's next for Smarter Home (with Software Defined Speakers)
- I'm Laser Cutting a proper case - so I can make a beautiful prototype before going to KickStarter to raise money to productions the solution!
- TI SensorTag IMU - 9-axis sensor is working with Intel Edison BLE, collecting data for gesture detection - so that we can use Gesture to control HK speakers!
- Research into Internet Audio - so hopefully HK can embedded that functions into the speakers to make it even more hackable!
- Following up with HK / Kevin's team to explore upcoming non-mobile APIs to further integrate speakers with Smarter Home.
- Research into Q&A AI systems for home care use cases