Registered "Petit taxis"
Registered "Grand taxis"
"Grand taxi" page
"Petit taxi" page
At SmartCab, we believe that the best way to get a taxi is to find an empty one. So, our main goal for small taxis is to increase the chance to find and book the closest empty taxicab.
Our second goal is to reduce travel time. To reach this objective, SmartCab equips taxis with GPS* to guide them and a tool to see the **state of the traffic in real-time.
Users may also want to take a grand taxi to go somewhere but do not know where the stops are. We believe that if they knew all the grand taxis stops, **taxis would fill faster and they would lose less time. We solve this problem by allowing users to register stops while allowing others to benefit. Thus, users will be able, from a search, see the grand taxis which leads them to their destination.
For the three mini-challenge:
- Taxi drivers can adapt their visibility by potential passengers. Thus, women drivers may request be visible only by women. And users can see book an empty taxicab that is nearby.
- Travellers planning to take a taxi on arrival at one of the stations of Casablanca or Rabat can schedule a taxi. Taxi drivers can see the applications and place bids (such as auctions) and therefore, the future passenger chooses the best offer.
- The future passenger and the taxi driver can then see their position in real time on the same map. To be sure the taxicab will move to the customer, the customer will pay the ride.
I asked some friends (BoeD) and taxi drivers to give me advice.
What it does
The features offered by SmartCab depend on the audience:
1.1 For taxi passengers:
- Display of all taxis (rate and distance) and can contact them: to facilitate interaction between the cab and the passenger potential.
- Monitoring taxi on a map: to know in real time the position of the cab relative to that of the passenger.
- Display of the estimated price of the race
- Planning a taxi station in the race: Allows travelers wishing to take a taxi on arrival at a station (in Casablanca or Rabat) to make reservations and see the rate proposed by the taxi-station operators and possibly contact them.
- Display of offers made by the taxi-station operators and the possibility of contact.
1.2 For normal taxis:
- Smart meter: It will display the distance traveled, the duration, the fare, customer type and rate type (day, night). It also register the taxicab to be visible ONLY when the taxicab is empty. Because booking an empty taxicab is the easier than finding one going to the same direction than the potential passenger.
- Viewing GPS: Displays the current position of the taxi on a "traffic map".
- Viewing user tracking: to save time by not having on a map the position of the pas-senger potential.
- Ability to set up his taxi visibility criteria by customers to enable conductive only accept applications from women.
1.3 For "grand taxis":
- Viewing large taxis's breakpoints allows potential passengers to see where they can take one.
- Display of the route to a large taxis stop.
- Registering a new stops for large taxis to have the maximum possible stops.
1.4 For taxi-gare drivers:
- Display of bookings made by potential passengers.
- Deposit of an offer to one of these bookings. Last but not least:
- Optimization for the use of "Car Mode Google maps" with a GPS for the route. This saves time by taking the optimal path to the destination.
How I built it
What's next for SmartCab
Ford's OpenXC platform: This tool will have more reliable data for:
- The development of a route from the geolocation
- The distance traveled by the taxi (for calculating the price of the race). For that, an apache cordova plugin for android and ios must be created.
- Rate calculation tool for assessing know the price of a race.
- Voice assistant for taxis to facilitate the application use.
And everything in real time (we use real time databases). So users don't waste time.