Our team realized that we all really cared about the enviornment and we all had a shared love for makeup and beauty products. We wanted to make an app that would reconcile the conflict between those two things. Smart Shopper Scanner would allow us to still do the things we enjoy but also allow us to be better global citizens and take an active role in creating a more sustainable world.
What it does
Smart Shopper Scanner scans the barcodes of beauty products and clothes and essentially provides a break down of the products information. Some of this information includes: whether or not the product is cruelty free, whether or not the company practices sustainable and eco-friendly manufacturing, if the ingredients in the product itself is harmful, and whether or not the packaging of the product is recyclable or biodegradable.
How we built it
We used android studio.
Challenges we ran into
Besides the fact that this was the first time coding for all the members on the team (we literally had zero experience) we struggled with figuring out what software to use to accomplish what we had in mind. We spent a few hours on android studio, then decided to use phone gap, and then went back to android studio. We also struggled with using GitHub to share our codes so we all ended up working on the same computer. Also, the kind of app that we wanted, to be completely successful, would require a huge database that we would physically have not been able to do in 2 hours. Because of that, we decided to make a smaller, mock database of the makeup we had on us.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Were all very proud that we were even able to make anything at all, because at one point we weren't sure if we were gonna be able to submit anything.
What we learned
That coding is really difficult, but possible! With practice and trial and error we were all able to learn a little bit of code and thats what we came to Pearl Hacks to do!
What's next for Smart Shopper Scanner
Hopefully as our skills advance we can make the design of the app nicer and figure out a way to connect with an already existing database so that we can provide as much information as possible.