Interact with objects in your room by clicking
Move items between your storage and inventory
Head out to town to trade goods or to go to the forest paths
Use or discard items in your inventory
Multiple profiles on one system
View or delete your profile, or resume playing
Ironically I never got to developing the part where you fight slimes lol
I started off making a CLI text based game in Java and things kinda snowballed from there lol.
What it does
Its a role playing game with a combat system, inventory management, and navigation. Unfortunately it is currently not completed, though most of the sprite art and planning is done, implementation just took longer than expected :')
How I built it
Using Java, JavaFx, Java Swing and Java awt libraries as well as JDBC and an SQLite database to store save progress.
Challenges I ran into
- This is my first time working with Swing, AWT and JDBC, so there was the time crunch of trying to find a way to connect the different components of the game together into one cohesive application
- My initial idea was a lot more complex and working solo meant I didn't have the time to finish up the rest of the project.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Most of the gameplay and storyline was designed solo in a short period of time, which I am quite happy with.
- Finally taking a step towards making proper games
What I learned
- I need to be patient and be through in looking for answers when coding, especially when working on my own.
- I need to be more through in looking through my system requirements and more firm in my game design decisions before I move on to database design, which was quite time consuming as I was constantly trying to modify it in the early phase.
What's next for Slime Fighter
- Finishing the rest of the components I had planned
- More storyline elements
- I can tweak and add in features I cut due to the time constraint
- Graphics upgrade, redesign some of the sprites