Even in this age of the Internet, a significant section of the population does not have proper access to the internet. Hence, they are not able to get access to useful resources on the internet. This is a big problem and is contributing to the socio-economic differences within society. We have come up with a solution to address this problem and help these people to skill up. The users need internet access just to register and enroll in the courses. Once enrolled, course content will be sent to the users as SMS.
What it does
Our website provides free courses where a user can register as a student or instructor. Users registered as instructors can start their own courses on the website. Each course has a discussion forum where the enrolled students can discuss their doubts. The instructors can add lectures for their courses. These lectures are sent to the enrolled students as SMS and are uploaded on the website too.
How we built it
- React to build the frontend
- MongoDB to store all the data required for the application
- Firebase for user registration and authentication
- Twilio API for sending SMS feature
- Chatcompose API for chatbot feature
- Node.js with Express framework for backend
- Axios to connect frontend built with React to backend built with node.js
Challenges we ran into
- It was difficult to find free APIs and connect them to our application.
- For some of us, it was the first time using React and Firebase. So it was a bit challenging for them.
- Connecting all the features built by 4 individual members and coordinating the individual changes made by us and making it fully functional was a challenging task for us.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We were able to connect all the components created by individual team members and create a fully functional web application.
- We were able to implement SMS and chatbot features without any previous experience.
- We were able to communicate and coordinate well despite our different tech stacks.
What we learned
It was a great learning experience for all of us. We learned about the tech stacks and APIs we were not familiar with from our teammates. We learned about teamwork and coordination required for completing a project successfully as well as working with a strict timeline.
What's next for Untitled
We can add the following features to SkillUp in the future :
- A video call feature for doubt sessions with the instructor
- Provision for adding assignments for the courses
- A feature for instructors to check and mark the subjective answers in the assignments using NLP (instructors can upload keywords and expected answers, the submitted answers would be compared with the expected answer for text similarity)
- Further, we can monetize our application by providing certification of courses to students and charging a minimal fee for it