We are all really good at mixing sodas and energy drinks. While it's fun to have such skill, it gets tiring to have to constantly mix drinks for people at parties. We created Sir Mix-a-Drink to free us up by becoming the perfect drink mixer.
What it does
Amazon Echo listens for drink requests and relays them to Sir Mix-a-Drink who then combines ingredients in the proper quantities.
How we built it
Amazon Echo/Alexa, diaphragm pumps, and Particle Photon. The photon digital pins drive several NPN Transistors, which in turn power the Diaphragm pumps. A diode (we used an LED) is shunted between each of the motor terminals and the +12v rail in order to protect against transient voltage spikes due to motor inertia.
Challenges we ran into
- We went through several sets of transistors. The first were not rated for the motor current, and the second were PNP instead of NPN due to a Datasheet mixup.
- Mysterious microcontroller failures.
- Did we mention plumbing?
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We made a voice controlled drink mixer in one weekend.
What we learned
- We learned how to hook up all of our favorite hacking toys.
- We learned to just take the L's and move on.
- We learned that big W's can come after a long string of L's
What's next for Sir Mix-a-Drink
- More recipes ( from the cloud )
- More drink containers
- Level sensors and drink supply management
- Interactive menu with nutritional information