When we were brainstorming for a project idea, we thought about what was done poorly this time around, and what could be made better for future pandemics. Many of the pandemic efforts were great and record breaking, but there was one key point that was detrimental to the battle against the Coronavirus, and that was the fact that responses were not coordinated and many businesses suffered unnecessary losses. We hoped that we could combat that by making a simulation app that could predict the best course of action for future pandemics.

What it does

Simdemic is a fully interactive and customizable pandemic simulation app powered by historical pandemic data that will hopefully allow governments and businesses to tailor simulations across different strains, models, and scenarios. In the future, before a pandemic has devastating effects, a government can track where hotspots will be and take appropriate actions. A business can find the exact right capacity limits and know when to reopen.

How we built it

We built it on a website with replit. Harold did the design and user interface using Figma and CSS. Ajitesh did some research on the pandemic and input many key parameters in the battle against the Coronavirus. Andrew and Timothy used Javascript to make an interactive display.

Challenges we ran into

  • We couldn't make this too accurate because of limited time and because most people are very unpredictable.
  • Most people don't eat this often and move with a purpose.
  • Restaurants aren't just a free for all where you can essentially eat anywhere.
  • People here don't necessarily die from starvation.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Our team is proud of building a customizable pandemic simulation app.

What we learned

We learned a lot about the virus and steps to mitigate the impact of it on people. We also learned a bit about the actual programming itself.

What's next for Simdemic

The next step is full customizability by the user and selling it to companies and public health offices.

Built With

Share this project: