To create a service that focuses on building communities around people who are looking for small side jobs or need some one to do a job for them. Not intended for professional jobs. Simply look up jobs in your general location. Not intended to sell goods.
What it does
- Build online portfolios of how well you can do side jobs. eg Mow the lawn, Tutoring
- Intended to build a trustworthy site where people can be confident in finding a job quickly and that it is reliable
- Mostly targeted for college students to help them make a living by making some extra money.
How I built it
- Built using the React library with Firebase as the backend database.
Challenges I ran into
- I am the only person who developed this and I am fairly new to React.
- Currently in a summer internship so I am pretty busy and had limited time.
- Building the React architecture is tricky at first. Setting up authentication workflows are tough
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Eventually managed to setup a decent architecture that was flexible.
- Able to make decent progress while being the sole developer.
What I learned
- Valuable experience in React and Redux.
- More experience in functional programming
- Improved css/layout skills.
What's next for Side Gig
- Try and develop it further in my free time.
- Add more routes and improve the design. Ran out of time to fully flesh out a good looking UI or functionality.