Are you having problem deciding where you want to go based on what you you want to do and what you want to contribute to? and what to do there? Sentient Trip Advisor can help you to discover and reach your dream places and make your life easier.
What it does
A user only needs to provide a sentence in natural language. Let's say: "I want to go to camping near the beach." By using IBM Watson NPL, Assistant, Google API, and Expedia API, we discover the list of places for the user then the user can easily select the most interesting place that they would like to go. Then we show all the information needed to reach that place including: Flight, Stay, Things to do and Car Rental.
How we built it
We are using
- Android Technology for the UI
- Python for the backend We built two API wrappers on top of:
- IBM Watson NPL
- Google API
- Expedia AP.
Challenges we ran into
- We had a number of ideas for this app but we had limited time to completely develop them all. We are sure that we will enhance the app in the near future.
- We had some struggles in exploring the IBM Watson API, but with the whole team we finally figured it out.
- Some Expedia APIs returned XML data which we needed to be converted into JSON.
- There are some limitation with the APIs
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We worked as a team and finished end to end flow for some functionalities on time. As a team each member had responsibilities that assisted in the completion of the app
What we learned
We learned a lot of new technologies and had the chance to do hand on experience with Natural Language Processing and Big Data Analytics.
What's next for Sentient Trip Advisor
- We will allow user to book all things necessary for a great trip; then integrate with a personal assistant.
- We will let users share it with their friends who might travel with them.
- We hope to train the model so that the app will provide more accurate information to the user.
- We hope to integrate the app with personal assistants such as Alexa, Siri, and Google Home.