WebRTC is a super exciting technology which allows for high-performance yet lightweight media sharing applications and QR codes are rapidly growing in popularity, especially with native camera app integrations becoming the norm. We wanted to build something that combined both of these technologies while also making a product that we could actually use.
What it does
Users can upload a file, then another user can scan their QR code to download the file over a peer-to-peer connection.
How we built it
React website built on top of EasyRTC.
Challenges I ran into
WebRTC architecture is pretty difficult and twelve hours is not a lot of time.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- We made a working product in under 12 hours.
What we learned:
- Web / networking technologies are complicated and setting up SSL is non-trivial.
- There's always time to remove features and reduce quality.
What's next for Sennd.me
- Making sennd.me Progressive Web App (PWA) compliant.
- Implementing a better deployment process.