Inspiration

Ever scoured a hawker center, wait by a table like a vulture for other customers to finish their food? Ever walked in circles in the library, hoping to find a vacant seat? We have, and we hated it. We built this solution to allow everyone to find vacant seats easily.

What it does

This solution consists of sensors that monitor seat occupancy statuses and transmitting the data to a server.

Users (seat-finders) can visit a website to find out the current state of the seats, and triangulate the closest vacant seat. As the front-end is built with React, the UI appears nicely on mobile, which the users are most likely using.

Stakeholders (owners of the seats) can use seat vacancy data to study the behavior of the users, and also to decide if he needs more or less seats. The vacancy state of the seats is polled regularly, and stored into an online database. We even implemented an admin page which displays the graph of occupancy rates for the past 24 hours.

How we built it

Hardware (sensors) - A camera is attached to a Raspberry-Pi (Python), which periodically processes (opencv) the captured images and updates the server wirelessly via a HTTP request through an API endpoint.

Backend Server - The node.js server is connected to all clients via socket.io, such that it can then immediately push the updated data to the clients, removing the need for them to continuously refresh their browser for the latest updates.

Database - Every few minutes, the server stores the current states of the seats into an online database (MongoDB) - allowing us to poll the data and plot a chart of the occupancy rate for the stakeholders to study.

Front-End - Built on React, this allows us to update elements on the user's screen quickly and easily, and also have responsive behavior for all view sizes, whether on web or mobile.

Challenges we ran into

Initially, we wanted two different types of sensors - thermal (Arduino) and vision (Raspberry-Pi). However, we failed to secure a reliable wireless communications module for the Arduino, preventing us from utilizing it. Computer Vision with the Raspberry-Pi was an equally challenging task!

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Firstly, having the patience to download the OS and dependencies for the Raspberry-Pi. This process took way longer than expected.

Secondly, implementing a solution that consisted of both web development and hardware integrations - the mark of real Computer Engineers!

What I learned

Download libraries and dependencies before a hackathon...

What's next for SeatSpy

Implement the seat detection via machine learning, and train it to more accurately detect vacant seats. We would also like to group the seats together, which is important for the hawker center context (strangers don't usually share the same table).

Share this project:

Updates