An estimated 8 Million tons of plastic enters our oceans every year. There are 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic waste estimated to be in our oceans. 269,000 tons float, 4 billion microfibers per km² dwell below the surface. 70% of our debris sinks into the ocean's ecosystem, 15% floats, and 15% lands on our beaches.
This should be enough to know why must we care about aquatic creatures. Not just plastic, human beings have been putting all kinds of things to make the water polluted, mostly because the governing authorities fail to take steps and punish the offenders. Thats what Saverine solves.
Saverine = Save + Marine life.
It lets people (common citizens) submit reports of places that are being polluted because of specific reasons, provide a backstory and upload it on our app, And thereafter, based on the categories like location, severity, we (developers) can forward their report to higher authorities.
What it does
Saverine lets common citizens upload report whenever they see that someone (individual or a group) is being the cause of pollution or harm to marine life and animals. One example could be, suppose im the user and i observe that this one specific company it putting all untreated waste water into a nearby pond. I can just open the app, and submit a new report, which will have title, description, location. Then the person would need to verify themselves using the OTP sent to them.
Also, they can view the status of their older reports, They can also educate themselves on why and how should we put efforts to save marine life. They can also read and understand how to use our app, on what kinda scenarios basically.
How we built it
• HTML-CSS, for making the intro webpages.
• FLUTTER, for coding the mobile app.
• FIGMA, for designing screens.
• TWILIO API, for verifying users before confirming their report.
• FIREBASE, to store records of users and to update them.
..and utility tools and services like github, godaddy domain, canva and alight-motion.
Challenges we ran into
We ran into a number of challenges, some technical, and some totally unprecedented lol.
• Completing the project from scratch to proper submission in the given time was a big challenge. • Using the Twilio API for the first time was indeed challenging but fun as well.
• One of our members' debug device went broken so it was kinda tough to debug the flutter code, but it worked out eventually.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We're proud of what we were able to come up with in this weekend, also it was a fun project to do!
What we learned
We learned a bunch of things:-
• integrating twilio API
• design aesthetics
• new concepts and widgets in flutter (bottom sheet, typecast, etc)
• got more experience in css
What's next for Saverine
We would be willing to automate the process of forwarding user reports to higher authorities.
We would also like to make it more optimized and aesthetic.