I was inspired by the perseverance of unique problem solvers in the community to create an application that helps address social isolation.
What it does
Anonymously connects friends who are free at the same time to speak to each other.
How we built it
We built this application using two servers. The front-end server harnessed the telegram API to connect with users & collects information on when users are free to speak. The back-end server matches people who are free to speak to each other. The back-end and the front-end server communicate with each other to coordinate sending users a message about what friends are free at what times.
Challenges we ran into
- difficulties associated with multi-threaded server applications
- the time and stress associated with complex classes in the telegram API
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Building a full stack application in less than 24 hours
- Building a back-end framework that can be extendable to other applications
- Modular code that helps us extend our application to other applications
- Actually having some of our friends use it!
What we learned
- how to use SQLite to perform database queries
- how to harness complex social media APIs
- how to send over servers using sockets
What's next for SaM (Schedule and Meet application)
- extending the front-end server to different social media platforms
- providing features for users to speak with certain individuals