During lockdown, We found ourselves mindlessly scrolling through social media. After heading back to school in the fall. We realized just how much our social media consumption has increased. This sparked new questions. What types of posts have we been viewing? Have they been contributing to the overall "down" feeling of lockdown? How can we stop this?
What it does
Sage Social is a solution to that. Our application is scrapes the top posts from a reddit user's home page and runs sentiment analysis on it to determine if the post is positive, negative or neutral. Typical applications that monitor social media use focus on tracking time and blocking sites outside of certain hours. Sage Social is meant to go beyond that and help people be more mindful of the type of content they are viewing.
We attended at workshop that went over reddit web scraping and we found the process to be simple. Also, one of us was practically addicted to the platform last year.
How we built it
We built this app using the Python Reddit API Wrapper(PRAW) library, The VADER model in the Natural language toolkit (NLT) and Streamlit, an app framework for python.
Challenges we ran into
We ran into challenges putting the the entire project together into one cohesive application. Each individual piece had its own difficulties as well, mostly due to a lack of familiarity with the tools we used.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We are proud of being able to make something that interacted with another website to create something new.
What we learned
We learned a lot about natural language processing, web scraping, and developing a user interface using Streamlit.
What's next for Sage Social
- Allow the website to update periodically
- Examine the body of the posts, instead of just the titles
- Have Sage social analyze the posts users actually interact with and not just pull content from a home page.
- Expand sage social to other social media sites, particularly Instagram and Twitter since those are the platforms people we know use the most.
- Incorporate more typical features such as blocking sites at certain times and tracking usage times.
- Make Sage Social an extension so users can see the posts it flags directly, instead of through another website. This extension could also allow users to give feedback, allowing us to train our own AI suited to the task.
- Do market research to ensure that is this a desirable product