DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE, STAY SAFE !
How having a decisive impact in the fight against the Coronavirus especially to ease the end of containment periods as long as no vaccine or efficient treatment is found ?
The SafeToFace bracelet is a Consumer electronic wristband, with vibration alert to avoid touching the face and thus the risk of contamination by Covid-19.
The solution is :
- Very easy to use: no skills required, easy to put and remove
- Low cost: less than 20 euros
- Accessible to every consumer in any location: small, light, easy to package and ship, standard distribution channels
The time-to-Market will be quick, less than 4 months: no technologies issues, no regulations constraints, an open source approach.
We are a fully committed team with strong foundations and capacities to start and achieve the project.
PROBLEM THE PROJECT SOLVES
“Hundreds” is the number of face-touching per day, with a high risk of spreading the coronavirus infection as we know that mucous membranes are the portal into the body for a virus. It is a difficult habit to break that has not found the perfect solution by now. As long as there is no vaccine or treatment available, avoid face-touching is a must-have to complete the standard barrier gestures.
SOLUTION BROUGHT ON THE TABLE
The innovation provided by the SafeToFace bracelet is to avoid face-touching thanks to a smooth vibration each time your hand goes up close to your face.
It will hopefully help you stop contracting the virus but, over time, train you to touch your face less.
The functional characteristics are :
- Low cost (less than 20 euros per piece)
- Responsiveness of the vibration when the hand is going up before the contact with face
- Easy to put and remove
- Standalone device (no configuration needed, no mobile pairing required, no particular skills needed)
- Effortless to manufacture@scale and ship
- Solid and resilient whatever the environmental and use conditions are,
- Accessible by anyone, even the disabled people as far as only vibrations are used and not other cognitive signals
- Findable every where (pharmacies, retailers, businesses, associations)
- MCU dedicated to machine learning algorythm execution
- Strong energy consumption
- Flexible bracelet to attach easily aud quickly
- Modular for future features and components
SOLUTION IMPACT TO THE COVID-19 CRISIS
Comparing with the current wearable devices market, we expect a potential deployment to 700 million of people worldwide empowered by low cost device, no personal data, ease of use, accessibility, and a solution open source approach. Our objective is to reduce by 30% to 50% the coronavirus infection risk, and avoid the contamination of almost 350 million of people over the world.
WHAT HAS BEEN DONE DURING THE WEEKEND AND WHAT WE HAVE LEARNT
We have verified our market opportunity assumptions and identify a first segmentation level
- We have defined a low-cost oriented solution from design to distribution
- We have removed uncertainties of technical feasibility in order to have a solution that is adapted to the conditions of use and reactive enough
- The Hackaton has created a dynamic within our team and our company so that we will continue in the coming weeks and months.
BUSINES MODEL & DEPLOYMENT@SCALE
We have evaluated to less than 20 euros the final price per device
Our solution can be delivered on the market in less than 4 months to cover the all value chain. How ?
- Our team & partners ecosystem have the End-to-end skills
- The deployment requires standard manufacturing and retailing ecosystem
- We leverage on a partnership approach with Universities to ensure the functional enrichment of the device and a widely and quick spread
- Low cost product and no regulations issues to accelerate the adoption
- Very easy to use device to guarantee the effective use over time
NECESSITIES IN ORDER TO CONTINUE THE PROJECT
The tasks that remain to do for finalizing the wristband design are the following:
- Adjust the design to fit the young children and elders consumers (small size, resilience)
- Strengthen the software prototype and design release
- Realise life tests
The first version is built to target the widest range of users market segments.
To target specific population (ex. not sensible to vibrations, with Parkinson disease etc.), and activate back-up notifications, we plan to deploy new features such as :
- Other indicators as light, smell, noise
- Bluetooth Proximity detection, tracking for risk areas analysis
To develop these new features and expand deploy as quick as possible, we plan to activate wide networks such as :
- University laboratories
- Specific schools with embedded system or electronic sectors
The help we would need from the European Community would be decisive in term of:
- 30 000 euros of subvention to finalise the prototype
- International-wide communication on the SafeToFace solution
- Linking with public organisations and companies willing to manufacture, distribute the device, universities and associated research fundings organisations
VALUE OF THE SOLUTION AFTER THE CRISIS
After the coronavirus crisis, this innovative solution will remain absolutely useful as 80% of common infections are transmitted through the hands. The gesture barriers and good habits taken to stop the coronavirus epidemic are likely to decrease steadily over time. The SafeToFace wristband will remain an effective means of protection against infections because it automatically takes care of health.
WHAT WE ARE PROUD OF
We are very proud to provide an European solution that will really help in the fight against coronavirus. In the record time of 3 days, we have made invaluable advances in market analysis, removing technical uncertainties and designing a prototype. Thank you and congratulations to all the organizers of this fantastic hackathon!
In complement to this summary presentation, please find in attachment : Video pitch : https://youtu.be/xA1SovrX1RI Onboarded software code : https://github.com/TheJLAB/Safe2Face Full project presentation report : https://1drv.ms/p/s!AuQL8_jIcOBBg5pDUDy-Al4Ez-w9iQ?e=6AqzwW