According to a 2014 Crime Survey, 37% of adults feel unsafe walking alone at night in the US. LA in particular has a violent crime rate of near twice the national average. With this in mind, it is crucial for residents and visitors alike to be aware of the safest streets to take at any time.
What it does
With a given destination in mind, the application calculates safety scores based on historical data on crime rates in the LA area. The application also provides alternative routes to the user with different safety scores. The use is then allowed to preview the route and destination to make an informed choice.
How we built it
We built a cross platform mobile application using Google's new Flutter language. We coupled the publicly released LA crime datasets with the robust Google Maps APIs to enable us to provide an insightful safety score. This score was determined by calculating the relative frequency of crime in each area and surrounding areas. The crime score of a path is a combination of the score of the most dangerous area and the number of dangerous areas passed through.
Challenges we ran into
- We understand representation of safety is a very difficult feat to quantify. We also want to make sure everyone could look at our safety score to get a quick understanding of the what to expect for a given path. In turn, we found building an algorithm that best captures all the potential danger on a given path to be a great challenge of representation.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We are proud of building a working demo with core functionalities withhin the time provided.
- Strong communication and great teamwork made the construction of this application possible.
What we learned
- We improved upon data visualization.
- Learned more about mobile application development.
What's next for SafeRoute
- Increased coverage of locations available.
- More details on the safety score of how it was determined.
- Further collaboration to increase coverage and safety.
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.