Many of our friends that live in the city, use their bicycle as their main form of transportation. There have been casualties where their bicycles have gotten stolen, deteriorated because of the bad weather and feel uncomfortable leaving it in places where they are not familiar with.
What it does
Our solution, a system where NYC business shops can look after your bike for as long as you want, for a small price amount. This is a benefit that works both ways. You (the cyclist), is secured that your bicycle is in a safe place and under a shelter while the store charges a small fee to look after it.
There are four (4) easy steps for booking a reservation:
- Use our SmartMap to search for a host (store). This will show nearby places where to secure your bicycle.
- Once you have decided on a place, Reserve the spot to ensure you will have one once you arrive. This will ask you for how long you are planning to leave the bike.
- Drop off your bike and peacefully leave knowing it is in a safe place. A transaction fee will process for the amount of time reserved.
- Pick up your bike! knowing its been well taken care of.
How we built it
We decided to start with a basic CRUD application to get us going. This involved a lot of time in structuring our database model, planning out the views and the data flow on how we are going to collect data. Once that step was done we all (team members) took parts of the project such as building an Authentication and an Authorization system for Hosts (stores) and Cyclist to create an account, a view for every URL page we required, Integrate with Google Maps API to retrieve nearby Hosts locations who are registered in our database.
Challenges we ran into
- Coming up with an initial idea.
- Setting up our environments in different Operating Systems.
- Displaying multiple locations on our SmartMap was not as easy as we thought it would be.
- Ran into Merge conflicts with our entry developers which we were very happy to resolve.
- Not enough time to develop our idea completely :(
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We resolved 4/5 challenges named above!!! :D
- Our team members got to learn how to collaborate as a group using Github.
- Got to solve a problem that may help a lot of New Yorkers and eventually many other cities!
What we learned
- Learned to collaborate
- Brainstorm ideas as a group
- New technologies such as mongoDB, Google Maps API, etc.
- Learn the CRUD development process
What's next for Safekeep
We want to take Safekeep to a next level, we want to expand our idea towards renting your driveway space. How is that going to work... We see empty driveways all the time. With the 'Rent Your Driveway' system, you will be able to electronically post your driveway availability so individuals looking for a parking space can RENT your driveway.