We believe that it is possible to both practice safe traveling habits and still being able to enjoy the food you love.
Socially distance yourself and refraining from traveling to highly-concentrated COVID-19 hotspot areas will help us battle with the pandemic, protect your loved ones, and work towards building a safer and stronger community for all.
What it does
Safe Eats is a website where you can enter an area's location to show restaurants that are open there. It also shows you COVID-19 statistics of where that restaurant is so you can choose to avoid eating out at areas that are COVID-19 hotspots.
How we built it
- FETCH API: Using Google Cloud Platform API to filter and display restaurant locations
- USER INTERFACE: Setting up a WordPress website as a front-end component using HTML and CSS
- INTEGRATE: Taking data from user input to perform queries on Google Charts database
- DISPLAY RESULTS: Display results to users with Google Maps embedded graphics and COVID-19 data
Challenges we ran into
Getting API Integration right & trouble hosting the website on Google App Engine
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Deploying Google Maps integration on localhost
What we learned
How to integrate Google Maps' API Host our website on Google App Engine
What's next for Safe Eats
- Deploy a mobile app version
- Automatically detects user location
- Create a database of users with their contribution stats
- Display suggestions based on user’s past travel destinations