Inspiration -> This application was designed for the safety of people travelling in their vehicles or walking down their streets
What it does
The application has the following features:
- Sends the emergency alert to selected contacts with exact coordinates and complete address.
- Sends the emergency alert to all saved contacts with exact coordinates and complete address.
- Locates all the nearby hospital and starts the navigation on one click in case of emergency.
- Locates all the nearby car repair shops and starts the navigation on one click in case of emergency.
- Contacts the Hospital on one click.
- Contacts the Police on one click.
- The last and the most important feature of this application is, in case of major accident in the vehicle when the user cannot access the android application, we have used an piezo-electric sensor which calculates the frequency of accident and sends the emergency alert with exact coordinates and complete address to the emergency contacts saved in the device.
- Automatically connects to wifi as soon as we start moving in a vehicle.
How we built it
Android Application We used the concept of Google Maps, Google Api's, accessing data in Json format with the help of Volley library, maintaining proper database of the user and the emergency contacts.
Arduino Uno We designed the circuit using Arduino Uno where we used piezo electric sensor to calculate the frequency of how hard the sensor was hit.
Challenges we ran into
- Working with micro controllers
- Collecting information of the vehicles and how we can implement this technology.
- Cost reduction, how can we minimize the cost of production of this device
- Fixing the slightest bug
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We finally created a device which interacts with android application which can be used widely in future.
- Low production cost.
- Team work
- Easy to use
- Application starts automatically and requires less user interaction
What we learned
- Knowledge in Road Safety, as we did a deep research before we could start working on the project.
- Team work is the most important thing.
- Learning about micro controllers, google api's, google maps.
What's next for Road Safety
Visible Light Communication, we have already started working on this technology and we really think this technology will bring a great change in this field and being computer science engineer's, interacting with the new technologies is always fun.