School spirit is awesome. Problem is, a lot of our friends can never attend sporting events to support our fellow Colonials! It's not like they don't support the school, but most of our parents aren't always free to give us rides around. That makes us have to awkwardly use Facebook to try to find a person who can give us a ride home after an event. We wanted to make it easy for all students to attend school events and get back home.

What it does

RideTJ is an app that takes has users enter in their address. Then, when they anticipate going to a school event they enter when they're leaving and how many people they can carry. At the same time, students trying to get to an event can press the "catch a ride" button to find the people closest to them who are also going to the same place at the same time. From there the students can send notifications to the ride-providing students to finalize all the details.

How I built it

We used Android Studio to build our app, along with FireBase to store all of the user information.

Challenges I ran into

We had a lot of trouble getting our data to go through to our FireBase server. We spent the majority of our time overnight trying to figure out why when we registered users the information wouldn't show up in the server. We tried to look through all the Stack Overflow stuff but nobody really had any similar problems. Turns out after some experimentation that it was just a missing toString() method.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Very proud of our working user registration and authentication system. None of us have ever built a project with so much back-end web dev implemented in it, so this was really cool.

What I learned

PHP is a terrible language to write serverside in without a proper framework. I really wish we had moved to firebase or mongodb much sooner than we did.

What's next for RideTJ

We look forward to polishing the automatching system so that we can end up making routes for carpool drivers to follow as they help their friends get to and from school.

Share this project: