Inspiration

      **In 9th grade, we were each given a cup of a clear liquid. We were told to walk around the class and exchange our cup of liquid with three other people in the class.**

_One person in our class had a chemical that would cause the mixed liquid to turn red once two liquids were combined. The red liquid indicated that that person was infected. Each exchange consisted of pouring all the liquid from one cup to another, mixing, and pouring half of it back. At the end of the exercise, we were surprised to find that 90% of the class had been infected in just 3 exchanges by one single person. This exercise outlined how easy it is for an epidemic to turn into an uncontrollable pandemic. In this situation, prevention is the only effective method for stopping an epidemic. So, our team decided to create a product focused on aiding epidemiologists prevent epidemic outbreaks.

How it works

The user enters a disease into our search filter and clicks on the disease he/she is looking for. The user then gets a map on where that the disease was mentioned the most in the past month with places where it was recently mentioned a lot on Twitter. This provides data on the spread of disease/

How we built it

      The website uses a Twitter API to access Tiwtter's post database. We used Flask to connect front-end and back-end. 

Challenges we ran into

      One of the biggest challenges we ran into was definitely our skill and experience level with coding and web design which were both well...sub-par. We only knew a basic amount of HTML and CSS. When we first started designing our website, it looked like one of those pages that appear when the actual page of a website can't load fast enough. It took us a fair amount of googling and mentorship to get our website to look professional. But that wasn't even the hard part. None of us were familiar with back-end design, nor did we know the software required to connect front-end and back-end. We only recently discovered what an API was and by recently I mean 2 days ago, as in the day before the Hackathon started. We didn't know about the Python Flask required to connect our front-end and back-end, the javascript required for managing search results, and the Restful Python with JSON required to bring specific parts of the Twitter API database to users. In fact, by the time I send this devpost out, we're probably still working on the back-end because we still haven't figured out how to make it work. (But we promise it will work out by the deadline). Another challenge was our group dynamic. We struggled at the beginning to agree on an idea. But, in the end, we fleshed out our ideas and came to an unconditional agreement. 

Accomplishments that we're proud of

      When my group told me that they were serious about making something that was obviously way beyond our skill level, I told them to snap back to reality because we didn't know how to make the vast majority of the things we wanted to make. In fact, we didn't even know what was required to make what we wanted to make. I'm actually really glad they didn't listen to me because we ended up doing things that we would have never imagined we do. Looking back, it's actually pretty incredible that we were able to make a professional looking and functioning site, coming in with basic HTML and CSS abilities. I'm really proud of the courage my team had to dive into unknown waters and be willing to learn, even if they risk having no tangible things to show for it.

What we learned

     From Googling, soliciting help from mentors and our peers, we got to sharpen the knowledge we already had about web design while getting exposure to so many other languages with different syntaxes and functions. Before HW3 I had no idea what bootstrap, css

What's next for Reverse Outbreak

      We will improve the algorithm of our website, develop an app, and incorporate more epidemics around the world.
Share this project:

Updates