Well everyone has a habit of forgetting important stuff, be it taking your dog out on a walk or your client meetings. We as developers, spend most of our time in the terminal so it is difficult for us to add everything to our calendar because we need to open up chrome (yikes!!). So, here comes our idea.
What it does
We have created a CLI application to add reminders through the terminal itself. Just type in our app's name and it will be at your service.
If you might miss out on notifications if you are not on your system then do not worry we have got you covered. We add the reminder to your calendar, in that way you can notification on your phone or tablet or even smartwatch.
Again you might wonder what happens if your internet starts to act up? You might miss out on calendar notifications. We gain have you covered. We send out SMS too 😎
How we built it
- Ink (React)
Challenges we ran into
We had to give up on our VSCode extension idea halfway because the development process for it was too frustrating and we weren't making any progress
- One of our teammates Yash, wasn't able to participate in the last week due to some personal reasons
- Other teammates also had exams, so managing time was difficult at times
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Quickly developing a working MVP for the RemindMe CLI after having to abandon our previous project
- Working around changing schedules and availability of team members
What we learned
- That creating a VSCode Extension is hard, because of its frustrating development experience
- React Ink makes life easier when making a CLI
What's next for RemindMe
- Integrate Google Calendar API
- Include the ability to pass arguments instead of the interactive only mode
- Twilio reminders should be sent at the right time
- CRON jobs for scheduled system notifications